SQL SERVER: A JOURNEY
- SQL server referred to any database server that implements sql.
- SQL server is Microsoft’s RDBMS.
- In 1970s, SQL was developed by Donald D. Chamberlin and Raymond F. Boyce. This version is called SEQUEL (Structured English Query Language).
- Microsoft released its first version in 1988.It was developed by Microsoft and Sybase and it was designed for OS/2 platform.
- The first Microsoft server product is SQL Server 1.0. It is 16-bit server for the OS/2.
- SQL Server versions:
|1.0||SQL Server 1.0||1989|
|4.2||SQL Server 4.2||1993|
|6.0||SQL Server 6.0||1995|
|6.5||SQL Server 6.5||1996|
|7.0||SQL Server 7.0||1998|
|8.0||SQL Server 2000||2000|
|9.0||SQL Server 2005||2005|
|10.0||SQL Server 2008||2008|
|10.5||SQL Server 2008R2||2010|
|11.0||SQL Server 2012||2012|
|12.0||SQL Server 2014||2014|
|13.0||SQL Server 2016||2016|
|14.0||SQL Server 2017||2017|
- SQL Server 4.2: In 1993, SQL Server 4.2 released for NT.
- SQL Server 6.0: Its codename is SQL95.
- SQL Server 6.5: In 1996, Microsoft released version 6.5 of SQL Server. Microsoft released version 6.5 Enterprise Edition in 1997.
- SQL Server 7.0: Its codename is Sphinx. It also introduced multidimensional database product.
- SQL Server 2000: SQL Server 2000 introduced user-defined function, instead of triggers and table variables. It provides XML support. Its codename is Shiloh. It is a full-featured relational database management system (RDBMS) that offers a variety of administrative tools. Administrative tools are SQL Profiler, Service Manager, Enterprise Manager, Data Transformation Services and Query Analyzer.
- SQL Server 2005: In this version CLR integration was introduced. It introduced multi-version concurrency control (MVCC) and dynamic management views (DMVS). It supports try/catch, recursive queries with CTEs. It introduced new XML data type.
- SQL Server 2008: It provides date and time data type, merge statement, arithmetic assignment operators, sparse column and filtered indexes. Enhancements in SQL Server 2008 are:
- Full-text-searchfunctionality is newly added in SQL Server 2008. It improves performance.
- Flat Earthand Round Earth are newly introduced data types.
- SQL Server 2008 R2 or SQL Server 2010: New features in sql server 2010 are master data management and multi server management. It includes number of services like power pivot for share point and excels, master data services, report builder 3.0, streaminsight, reporting services.
- SQL Server 2012: It provides T-SQL constructs like throw statement, conversion, string functions. It also provides column store indexes. Its codename is Denali. Query page splitting is implemented in SQL Server 2012.
- SQL Server 2014: It provides backup encryption and buffer pool extension. It provides backup solutions with Azure. Its codename is Hekaton.
- SQL Server 2016: It included native JSON support. It is supported only on x64 processors.
- SQL Server 2017: SQL Server 2017 is the latest version of SQL Server.
Keep visiting my site ask2tech.com for upcoming top technical article